Wednesday, July 24, 2013

God Who Provides

From May 12, 2013

Exodus 18

Available and Teachable: Two Indispensable Qualities for God-Centered, Gospel-Driven People


Hears.  Delivers.  Provides.

Available: Ready for God's Mission

Significance
      - Moses seizes on the opportunity to share the story of what God has done for Israel with his unbelieving father-in-law
      - sharing with close family members who know us better than anyone
      - cares deeply for family
      - family relationships are long term and not avoidable
Evangelism
      - tell the good and the bad
      - one of the first examples in the Bible
      - Israel's deliverance was for God's glory
Being Available
      - aware and ready to be a part of God's mission on earth
      - celebrate God's deliverance and victories
Moses
      - seized divinely-given moment
      - understood the glory of God
      - understood God's place in his life

Applications

Do I see myself through the 'bigger story' lens?

Am I available for God to use me for His purposes?

Am I able to declare His name even if it means difficulty?

Am I too self-absorbed that maybe God has something in mind that is bigger than just me?

Do I see God's mission and He might want to use me?


Teachable: Ready To Learn

Significance
      - unwise for Moses to carry burden alone
      - Moses needed to prioritize, but could not do everything
      - needed to seek men of character to serve as assistant 'judges'
      - shared leadershp model would create harmony and justice
Challenge
      - leaders' mission and abilities don't line up
      - deciding if it is wise to release some authority
      - uncouple sense of identity and value from the role
      - role was valuable and personally meaningful
Release the Claim
      - humility
      - security
      - belief in bigger picture
Ability to Listen
      - 'a lack of teachability creates a ceiling of growth in your life'
      - Proverbs 12:15
      - Proverbs 11:14
      - Proverbs 19:20


Applications

Am I viewing myself larger than God?

Do I have a good understanding of God and of myself?

Do I view my past through the lens of God's deliverance?  Or do I present a picture of perfect success?

Am I keeping my brokenness and failure a part of the story?

Is the mission about me?

Do I have people in my life who will speak honest words with me?

Who are some older people in my life? 

Am I seeking advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment